Fire leaves Dorsey Street home uninhabitable

An overstressed electrical outlet is blamed for an early morning fire that left a Dorsey Street family temporarily homeless.

Abington Fire responded to multiple 911 calls reporting a fire at 36 Dorsey St., at 5:42 a.m., Thursday morning.

Fire Department Chief John Glynn said when crews arrived, flames were coming out the right front corner of the house. The department immediately struck a second alarm summoning aid from other communities, including Whitman and Holbrook.

Firefighters started going through the house making sure everyone was out while also putting water on the flames.

Glynn said the fire was knocked down in about 15 minutes.

One adult and two children were home at the time of the fire. They were evaluated by EMS on the scene and did not require further treatment.

Glynn said the fire appears to be accidental, caused by an overloaded electrical outlet. The house suffered significant fire and smoke damage and is currently uninhabitable.

The home is owned by the Abington Housing Authority. Glynn said the authority is providing followup support to the family.

A representative of the Abington Housing Authority wasn’t immediately available for comment.

%d bloggers like this: